Friday 24 June 2016

Slight change of title

I'm still on the same theme but thought my title needed to be altered slightly to accomodate the different angles this could take.

·         Discuss ways in which wordless picture books contribute to educational and emotional development. (discursive)

I have chosen the above approaches because they highlight my main interests and aims for my illustration work and focus on the elements of learning and emotional responses to images in wordless books as well as to highlight the power of wordless picture books in visual communication.  The selected essay title is also open to analysis from a cultural and trans-generational point of view as well as being relevant to the work l am doing practically.  I am interested in ‘cross-over’ books and their appeal to wider audiences and hope my illustrated books will do that. 
The most relevant approaches other than the discursive angle, l felt were the evaluative and analytical approaches and the two questions l formed about wordless picture books transcending cultures and generations.  However I felt these questions would not be something which l could not find a conclusive answer to within the realms of this brief; and l may find that there may not be enough conclusive evidence in the forms of studies and surveys which would provide foundation for the argument.  The discursive approach and the refining of the theme and their contribution to emotional and educational development allows for a more open discussion of all my findings without the requirement of a conclusive answer which would be difficult to reach.  I have researched the subject and found several sources l can reference in my investigation and the theme is one which is becoming more and more studied.  Wordless picture books are also becoming more widely used and are very useful in educational and emotional development settings. 
The focus of my study is solely on the role of the illustrations and their sequencing in the book, as they are without text, and so diversions onto written storylines won’t occur.  The topic relates to my FMP module as l am creating outcomes for a wordless picture book which is a story l have written myself resembling Cinderella in some ways.  Wordless picture books and graphic novels is an area l also see myself working in after graduation.  The function and appeal of wordless picture books is therefore of interest to me personally and relevant to the project on my other module as well as correlating with my long term aims.

Possible sources l can use in my investigation for this essay:

Evans, J., 1998, What’s in the Picture?  Responding to illustrations in Picture books.  London:  Paul Chapman Publishing Ltd.
Lawson, J, Smith, S., 2016, 'Footpath Flowers', London:  Walker Books
Louie, B., & Siershinski, J., Enhancing English Learners' Language Development Using Wordless Picture Books, The Reading Teacher, Vol: 69, issue 1, July / August 2015, pp 103-111.
Nikolajeva, M., 2013, Picturebooks and Emotional Literacy, The Reading Teacher, Vol: 67, Issue 4, December 2013 / January 2014, pp. 249-254.
Salisbury, M. & Styles, M., 2012, Children’s Picturebooks:  The Art of Visual Storytelling.  London:  Lawrence King Publishing.
Serafini, F., 2014, Exploring Wordless Picture Books, The Reading Teacher, Vol: 68, Issue 1, September 2014, pp. 24-26.
Tan, S., 2014, 'The Arrival', Sydney:  Lothian Books
Osbourne Williams, D., 1994, Every Picture Tells a Story:  The Magic of Wordless Books, School Library Journal, Vol: 40, Issue 8, August 1994, p. 38.
Villa, A, 2013, 'Flood', London:  Curious Fox

The work l produce will look at the subject matter from a variety of angles and use examples in different learning settings, including in primary school or adult education, as well as looking at emotional development.  This will give a broader overview of the effect wordless picture books can have on the learner and how they can be used as a tool for those with English as a second language for example.  I will see where my research takes me and try to be as comprehensive as possible but concise at the same time, using validated examples for reference.



No comments:

Post a Comment