Tuesday 21 June 2016

Choosing the dissertation title

Having been in discussion with tutors from both my modules (Critical and Cultural Studies and Final Major Project) about the route l should investigate through my dissertation, as well as via discussions with peers, l feel my chosen topic certainly needs to reflect my interest in human emotion and how connections are made to wordless picture books.  Currently l am considering the title:
Discuss ways in which wordless picture books connect with human emotions and become trans-cultural and trans-generational in appeal.
Looking at the theme from the viewpoint of one which is: Multi-cultural, sociological, psycho-analytical, and psychological, theories l could employ in this essay could include:
Semiotic analysis:  What is signified by the signifiers in wordless picture books which connect or disconnect from certain age groups of cultures, are the signifiers universally understood to signify the same thing to each?
Redundancy and entropy:  What are the redundant and entropic features and is it right to assume that wordless picture books need a higher level of visual redundancy?
Iconography and iconology:  What are the motifs in the images and why were they chosen to represent the concept (considering the historical and cultural background of the image)?
Stereotypes:  Are these used prevalently in wordless picture books and how can they cross generational and cultural boundaries?
Metaphor and symbolism:  How can these be used effectively when targeting a trans-generational and trans-cultural audience?
John Berger’s ‘Ways of Seeing’:  How would Berger interpret the use of wordless picture books and their cultural and generational interpretations?
My main interest as a creative practitioner is to fully create my own wordless ‘crossover’ picture books (books which have intergenerational appeal but which may be defined as children’s picture books) which approach real life situations and problems and promote emotional responses in the readers.  The books will consider the young child in their presentation and subject matter but not be exclusive in targeting this audience.   l wish to engage a wider audience and one which can appreciate the illustration for the artistic value but also connect with the deeper meanings of the work.
Secondly, l am also interested in continuing with commissioned work from a commercial point of view and developing my experience in interpreting the texts of other creatives in an illustrative way.
Thirdly l am also interested in continuing my study of illustration as a means of communication and developing my rendering of the human form and facial expressions while continuing to develop my skills using a range of media.
These interests are reflected in my idea for theoretical investigation as outlined above, in the following ways:
·         I will further my knowledge and appreciation of the area of wordless ‘cross-over’ picture books, their appeal, their reach and longevity; an area which l hope to become more deeply involved in upon graduation
·         I will increase my critical analysis skills using the methods outlined above which will impact upon the outcomes l produce in my practical work
·         The themes of sociology, psychology and multi-culturalism are of great interest to me personally and l hope to reflect this in my practical outcomes to an extent which is relevant to the essay topic
·         Human emotions greatly interest me and as l particularly enjoy depicting human beings in my illustration work, l feel it is necessary to study this area as much as possible while also developing my skills at depicting these themes in my illustrated characters
My goals for writing the essay for this module are to:
·         Increase my knowledge about how people respond to visual texts and the impact it has upon them emotionally
·         Study the subjects of metaphor, symbolism and picture book codes and how they are used effectively in the rendering of wordless picture books
·         How effective wordless picture books are at crossing generational and cultural boundaries
·         To learn from my investigation and apply the findings to my own practical work
Tutor and peer feedback have assisted me in evaluating my ideas in the following ways:
·         The general consensus of opinion was that studying the subject of human emotion as well as wordless picture books were the strongest ideas with the most scope and potential for academic research
·         These two ideas were combined to create the essay route of investigation chosen
·         Both tutors liked the idea of studying the emotional responses to picture books; with Final Major Project tutor being keen for me to explore wordless picture books as this is the area l am currently working in my practical module








No comments:

Post a Comment