Wednesday 13 July 2016

Research so far: refection

I have very much enjoyed researching my theme as it is one l am personally very interested in and able to apply to my work and ambitions as an illustrator.  I am very happy with the availability of research material for inclusion in my report, and am also inspired by the level of academic interest in the study of pictures: particularly that of illustrations in wordless picture books.  The wordless picturebooks genre seems to be an increasing market as well as a universal one; which l would like to become more submerged in as l gain experience.

The process of activities dealing with the discovery and refinement of reference material, though feeling repetitive and tedious at times, certainly benefited my work for submission 1, by ensuring my focus remained on the most germane resources.  Although creating the annotated bibliography was much more time consuming than l anticipated l feel l managed my time well and located a number of relevant and important resources for my study.  I also purchased several books for use as reference in this module; which will also be useful later in my career.  I found the interaction with peers on the forum useful and took advice regarding certain reference material by peers, such as the article Wordless picturebooks: critical and educational perspectives on meaning-making (Arizpe & Styles, 2005). 

Creating the reflective blog is a useful and ongoing method of refining ideas and developing critical thinking and l will dedicate time to this on a regular basis.  It is also an effective means of recording information, such as keeping details of reference material and highlighting how ideas develop and change.

Linking in the essay with practical work undertaken on the Final Major Project module means l can visualise my work in context and learn not just in theoretical ways but in practical ones too.  It also helps to keep my mind on the same theme so l can gain thorough knowledge in an area l have the most interest in, and wish to work in upon graduation.


Locating and reading much of the material found on my essay theme, has made me feel positive and enthusiastic about my work and future prospects.  I am keen to continue with my studies on this subject and am looking forward to working on the essay to develop my knowledge to a high standard.  I feel the skills and knowledge l gain from this will contribute greatly to my work, ethos and outlook as a professional illustrator and enhance my academic critical thinking.

Shortly, l will post my annotated bibliography which l will be referring to regularly while continuing with research for my final essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment